Friday, August 28, 2009

Head of the CDC disputes White House report

Nearly 90,000 deaths from swine flu this fall?

Not quite, the chief of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says."Everything we've seen in the and everything we've seen around the world suggests we won't see that kind of number if the virus doesn't change,"Dr. Thomas Frieden said in a C-SPAN interview taped Wednesday.

Frieden's downgrading of the swine flu threat marks yet another volley in what appears to be a growing battle between the CDC and the The White House's top medical advisors over the dangers of the next wave of the H1N1 virus.On Monday, the White House unveiled a grim report estimating the swine flu will wipe out up to 90,000 Americans in the coming months. The deadly virus will also infect half of the population and force some 1.8 million people into hospital intensive care units, the President's Council of Advisers on Science and Technology predicted. The doctor who spearheaded the report, told the Daily News Tuesday the "flu could be extremely dangerous" and "needs to be taken seriously."

But a day earlier, after Varmus' estimates were released, Frieden and White House health czar virtually ignored them. Sebelius merely acknowledged that swine flu "will cause a more serious threat this fall." Bolstering the notion that even the White House was at odds with Varmus' report, its release came with little fanfare and no official news conference.

An aside: H1N1 is peaking in Australia , just as in New Zealand and Britian.

Winter is ending, the sun is shining more. The predictions for Australia had been 3,000 deaths. The actual amount was 147, however it is not clear how many were killed by the virus or died from other medical conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TROLLS &SPAM WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT HESITATION
KEEP IT RELEVANT. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS