Thursday, January 28, 2010

Haiti - Without the taint of western entitlement or righteousness.

Meant to get these up yesterday.
Two pieces by John Maxwell, he writes for the Jamaica Observer.
Why is a different perspective needed?
In the North American media, I can't help but notice every article written is tainted with an attitude of  " we know what Haiti needs". And, these calls for a new vision of Haiti or a revision of Haiti?  An entitled attitude  that displays not just an arrogance, but also an attitude of master and slave. Imagine how that attitude must seem to  the people of Haiti. Or how sickening the sight of  the ex-president buffoon brothers Bush and Clinton 'helping out' in Haiti ? How exactly is the new vision or revision of Haiti the decision of the US and Canada?
It isn't of course. But, that doesn't stop the leaders of either nation from pushing their agenda.
Back to John Maxwell and two of  his recent, excellent op-eds.

I have only excerpted from the two, hoping you will read them entirely at the links provided

No, Mister! You Cannot Share My Pain!

If you shared my pain you would not continue to make me suffer, to torture me, to deny me my dignity and my rights, especially my rights to self-determination and self-expression.
Six years ago you sent your Ambassador Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to perform an action illegal under the laws of your country, my country and of the international community of nations.
If you shared my pain you would not continue to make me suffer, to torture me, to deny me my dignity and my rights, especially my rights to self-determination and self-expression.
Six years ago you sent your Ambassador Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to perform an action illegal under the laws of your country, my country and of the international community of nations.

 One of the survivors of Tuesday's devastating earthquake in Haiti.
1/1
It was an act so outrageous, so bestially vile and wicked that your journalists and news agencies, your diplomats and politicians to this day cannot bring themselves to truthfully describe or own up to the crime that was committed when US Ambassador James Foley, a career diplomat, arrived at the house of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide with a bunch of CIA thugs and US Marines to kidnap the president of Haiti and his wife.

The Aristides were stowed aboard a CIA plane normally used for 'renditions' of suspected terrorists to the worldwide US gulag of dungeons and torture chambers.

The plane, on which the Aristides are listed as "cargo", flew to Antigua - an hour away - and remained on the ground in Antigua while Colin Powell's State Department and the CIA tried to blackmail and bribe various African countries to accept ("give asylum to") the kidnapped president and his wife.
The Central African Republic - one of George W Bush's 'Dark Corners of the World' - agreed for an undisclosed sum, to give the Aristides temporary asylum.

And his other piece
Boojum Hunting in the Caribbean

This area of existential discombobulation is much more dangerous than its kin. It is, first of all, not composed of material fragments but of abstractions, strange apparitions that do not poison fish or litter beaches, but poison minds and litter brave new policies with the toxic detritus of ancient ignorance, hysteria and unreasonable beliefs.

It is a place where ancient racist libels still hang around, driving US politicians to distraction and the Bible. It is the place where apparitions like Pat Robertson, Roger Noriega, Otto Reich and Luigi Einaudi flourish and have their being, sustained by vicious fables invented 500 years ago to justify human slavery, revised and updated periodically to deal with black rebellion against slavery, colonialism and used today to frighten and confuse US soldiers and journalists.

Baron Samedi walks again
When I was about 12 years old, I borrowed a book from the Institute of Jamaica's Junior Centre library. It was part of a donation by the Carnegie Foundation and was almost brand new.
I cannot remember the name or author, but the book was obviously written to sell millions by frightening the wits out of its American readers.


1 comment:

TROLLS & SPAM WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT HESITATION
KEEP IT RELEVANT. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS