Thursday, April 22, 2010

Two brain traumas, two unique & difficult effects.

Taking a break from the heavy duty world of politics...cause every once in a while we all need a break!

Two interesting news stories, different and yet similar.
A reminder of how little we understand of our wonderful human brains
How they work and how they can be altered.
No, I am not talking drugs here. The brain changes in both cases were brought about by brain traumas.

Croation girl wakes up from coma speaking fluent German

Since waking up from her 24 hour coma however, she has been unable to speak Croatian, and is only able to communicate perfectly in German

Doctors at Split’s KB Hospital claim that the case is so unusual, various experts have examined the girl as they try to find out what triggered the change.

Hospital director Dujomir Marasovic said: “You never know when recovering from such a trauma how the brain will react.

The girl is still being cared for at the hospital and is receiving regular visits from her family although they are allegedly frustrated that they can no longer communicate with each other.

Hospital staff had to use an interpreter to translate the girl’s words to her family and when they speak to her in Croatian, she apparently does not understand.

And another one- Great Drawl of China

A migraine attack has turned Sarah Colwill's West Country drawl into a Chinese accent.

Sarah, 35, has lived in Devon since she was a toddler but now sounds as if she is from the Far East.

She said yesterday: "I have never been to China. It is very frustrating and I just want my own voice back but I don't know if I ever will.

Just imagine, two brain traumas, two gals affected in 2 unique ways.
How difficult this must be for both of them?
The one wants her voice back, how weird is that when you think about it?
The other cannot speak her native language and cannot communicate with her family?
Where in your brain, in the brain, is the capacity for languages and accents?
How did these traumas bring these changes about?
Talk about your 'food for thought' ?

5 comments:

  1. ha! wow pen, those are both very freaky!!

    word verification: pensesse

    ReplyDelete
  2. the brain is incredibly interesting and we only use 1/10th of its capacity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brain Trauma! Perhaps that explains how George Bush, New England uber-preppy ended up talking like a cowboy. I always wondered about that...

    Otherwise I wonder if that woman from Devon now has a mad urge to eat chickens feet and spicy duck's face and then let rip with a big burp afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A P:

    I thought they were so interesting and clearly we understand so little of our brains.

    robinesque: I totally agree.

    nobody: chickens feet. I had read they are consumed in China.....
    I can't get my head around that though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coin I'd comment but I fell down the stairs yesterday hit my head and I have forgotten how to type in englrish, Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

TROLLS & SPAM WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT HESITATION
KEEP IT RELEVANT. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS