Sunday, July 18, 2010

Creativity on a serious, serious decline

First a favour?
I ask that readers indulge me briefly, while I resolve a personal family issue.
With a much loved Grandparent.... who has been hospitalized, came very close to dying, seems to be on the mend. A very up and down time period and emotionally draining.
I may be a bit sporadic, but, I will post as soon as humanly possible.

On to my post!

In my opinion this news story should have got way more attention then it garnered. It would have if the media was seriously informing the populace. But, they are not.
To my way of thinking, this news of a Creativity Crisis is incredibly detrimental to society, as a whole.
Creativity defined as being able to produce something original, useful or otherwise. It is the ability to think outside of the box. Outside of prescribed parameters. To be creative requires divergent thinking, that can then be converged.

And creativity is on the decline!

Since 1990! That is already twenty years of decline!

“It’s very clear, and the decrease is very significant,” Kim says. It is the scores of younger children in America—from kindergarten through sixth grade—for whom the decline is “most serious.”

The potential consequences are sweeping.

The necessity of human ingenuity is undisputed

That statement alone, should give you an idea of how serious an issue this is -

Yet, in my opinion, it has been systematically destroyed.
By the school system, by engaging in passive activity. Particularly excessive television and computer time. Children, do not interact with others, or the outdoors as much as they used to. Their lives are overly structured. They do not use their imagination, such as when one reads. Television, computers and video games, provide the visuals, there is no need to use your imagination. I can go on, but, I hope you get the idea.

Some additional interesting info here

Those kids using electronic media for more than 16 hours a day get significantly lower grades than those using less than 3 hours a day. Another study reported that later academic achievement was related to the amount of television watched by children under age 3. Additionally, in an Iowa study, electronic media use was correlated with obesity. Kids using electronic media less than 2 hours/day were at normal average body mass while those watching more electronic media were more likely to be obese


  1. Penny please take the time to sort your affairs, this war will still be here, and there are things and people infinitely more precious in this life worth putting your attentions to. That's what life is supposed to be about enjoyment and growth spiritually, emotionally and in all other ways. Not the hellish, stress-infested, struggle it's become with ugliness, hate and war playing daily up on the big marquee. Take the time to nurture peace and happiness when you can find it in the small things.

    I wanted to level some commentary at this post on the suffocation of creativity, but it just didn't feel appropriate given what you are going through right now. You are brave and steadfast to be true, take some much needed R & R for yourself and family. You've been there for us, now be there for them.

    Cheers, best of fortunes and respect to you.

  2. Thanks for those kind words HHQ!

    I debated even mentioning it, but, I had not been interacting or responding as much as I like to. I had not been dropping in on the other bloggers I usually visit.
    Kind of just throwing up a post and running...

    But, if you change your mind on leaving a comment regarding this creativity decline, do so, I for one would read it when time allowed and I am sure other readers would enjoy it also.

    Thanks again HHQ!