Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Orwell's Warning: The Greatest American Paradox

The author of this book, Erik Blaire, was kind enough to send me a copy to read and review.
I have done so and will share my thoughts here.
If Erik wants to chime in and share any thoughts on why he wrote this book, he is more then welcome to do so.

I first came across Erik Blaire when I heard an interview he had done with Jan Irving at Gnostic Media. I am reposting the interview as it will help give the listener/reader some idea of what his book is about, so you will find the interview at the bottom after my review.

Erik's book isYou can read a bit of it for yourself here

By the way, this is the first time I have ever seriously reviewed a book, other then "yeah that was a good book" or "that book was crap". So here we go, for better or worse!

Erik has a quote in his book that in my opinion summarized quite nicely what his book sets out to accomplish.

"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
George Orwell

Stating the obvious, or what should be obvious, to the people would not be necessary. But it is, thanks to the obfuscation of the mainstream media. Therefore stating the obvious has become an absolute necessity in these times.

Erik is stating the obvious in a readable and thought provoking book.

In the preface of the book, Erik introduces us to allopathy (modern medicine), what allopathy is etc., What I found striking was the ever changing definitions of allopathy.
These ever changing definitions serve to muddy the waters on what it is medicine is supposed to be. Helpful or hurtful?
A fact that Erik brings to light is that allopathy or modern medicine is killer #1 of Americans. Or that when doctors strike mortality decreases.
These facts demonstrate that there are big issues with mainstream medicine, and yet they are unknown. Why?

In Part 2 the author introduces us to the terminology of 1984 then applies these terminologies to our modern society.
In Parts 3 and 4 he explores paranoia and disobedience in our conformist society.
Where labels of paranoia and disobedience stem from non-conformity rather then illness.

I like Erik's mono logging experiment. It left me with a picture of the author sitting in a park enduring disapproving stares while he engaged in an activity, that had a child done this would have surely resulted in smiles, and "oh, isn't that cute"

The explanation of Laws vs Norms was quite good. This line of thinking was one I had never engaged in. But, how correct Erik was in pointing out just how restrictive norms are! How well behaviour is controlled, through perceived norms, without a law ever being enacted.

My two wishes for the book were that, first, Erik would have explored the "Laws vs Norms" thought line at length. I can help you out with a recent example of something that happened to me, when I did not adhere to a perceived norm Erik.

My second wish. Erik brings forth a concept, allopathy (medicine) as fascism, that I wish he would have examined further. I see in my notes I wrote "good concept-expand on it".

Overall, I enjoyed the book! 5 stars!




12 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting.

    - Aangirfan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey aang!

    It is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to reading it - thanks for sharing !

    The link below is for a pdf format of Morris Bealle's
    book about the Rockefeller's involvement in the
    pharmaceutical industry - to our detriment.
    Enjoy

    Click here to read

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks kindly Dave, have it bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hidi ho, Just thought that I would drop by before going out into that cold cruel world to cut some firewood. And oh yeah to play with my new toy that Skye bought me fer me birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Penny, and thanks for the favorable review. Though to be honest, the four main chapters were not originally written to be published. I wrote them quite a few years ago, they sat on the shelf until I lost my job last year, then decided to take advantage of the time off. Since I have a couple of injured disks (back injury) I figured I'd try to work them into something I could sell since I had no idea what was going to happen job wise.

    Anyway, originally I wrote them as the third run (of four) of draft material as self-therapy--a way of working out the after effects of Catholic trauma-based child rearing methods; the fourth is the basis of the sequel.

    Imagine child rearing methods that are designed to:
    1) Obliterate the self-will of the child;
    2) induce amnesia of the methods;
    3) instill the will of the adult in it's place; which
    4) includes the demand to express a conscious belief in one's own self-will

    Orwell's main character gave me a nasty bout of de-ja-vu, so I used his book to organize my material.

    These methods are examined by one of the few psychiatrists I respect: Morton Schatzman in Soul Murder: Persecution in the Family (1973) which is out of print, but sometimes available used on Amazon (ranging @ $20+ up--I've seen it going for hundreds--I spent $70 back when I had the money, and because it's that important). This book is the basis of one of the chapters.

    And speaking of Law vs Norm (something I do expand on in the sequel) you can find another good out-of-print book on Amazon written by a lawyer called The Death of Common Sense, which is about the legal system (though this one usually runs for only a few dollars). Put these two books back to back, and you've got some interesting things to think about.

    Originally Orwell's Warning was going to be three books, but I decided to break the second one into booklets and give it away. That one focuses on vaccination and does expand on Allopathy as fascism. Children are being maimed and killed being used as petri dishes, and there's a definite need for a brief, to the point guide to shots. Ponder this: 1) Many vaccines have viruses cultivated on dead fetus tissue, 2) the culture and the virus cannot be separated, so 3) millions of people inject dead pre-born infant into their living post-born infants! I see vaccination as chemical molestation, and not very different than sexual molestation--in both cases a detached lunatic is trying to "stick-it" to a child. I can't in good conscience sell it, so I'm giving it away. I'll send you a copy when it's done.

    Anyway, I'm glad you liked the book, and I'll be sending you a pdf sample of the sequel called Modernity, Madness, & Orwell very soon if you'd like; and anyone else who's interested.

    Take care,
    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  7. The command of the old despotisms was 'Thou shalt not.'
    The command of the totalitarians was 'Thou shalt.'
    Our command is 'Thou art.'

    O'Brien, agent of the Thought police, in Orwell's 1984



    definition … noun … 1 : an act of determining or settling : as
    a Roman Catholicism : an official statement concerning a matter of faith
    b : a prescribed or official standard for a commercial product …
    c : the fixing or determination of social character …

    Webster's Third New International Dictionary (1986)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Erik!
    The book was worthy of a good review,imo.
    I am glad you are going to expand on the norm vs laws line of thought.
    It is something, IMO, a lot of people have not really thought about.

    And, why would they have.
    They grew up with norms(conformity), so they are accepted.

    I am assuming you are doing the definition of command:

    To exercise direct authority over; to have control of; to have at one's disposal; to lead.

    To have at one's disposal.
    So, when we are commanded by our government or church or whatever we deem authoratative, does this mean we are also at their disposal?
    Or can we be disposed of?
    I thought that one was a bit weird.

    Oh and yes, I would like a pdf of the next book. I am in touch with some of the regulars here and if they would like a copy I could forward it to them.

    Merci Erik!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was simply the definition of definition. Nothing more, nothing less.

    And didn't you notice, back in the nineties, "PERSONNEL" departments through out western civilization were relabeled almost overnight "HUMAN RESOURCES" We were all redefined from "people" to "things" and hence DISPOSABLE.

    And no one reacted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Erik! Just ran across your book recently and loved the read! Thanks for the access to this perspective!
      I simply wanted to add to your last comment about changing the names of the personnel departments... on top of this I find the wonderful ironic stance of late 19th century "LARGE BUSINESS" becoming the "CORPORATE PERSONHOOD" or the legal concept that a corporation may be recognized as an individual person in the eyes of the law, that the Fourteenth Amendment was not only for the freed slaves, but also applied to corporations.

      So while we as the working people are no longer people in the eyes of the business, the corporation itself is however considered as such, more and more.

      Delete
  10. Yes, and rather then citizens, we all became consumers.

    ReplyDelete

TROLLS & SPAM WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT HESITATION
KEEP IT RELEVANT. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS