Imagine the grin on the faces of the Turkish, Russian and Syrian soldiers as they watch these so called "Syrian/ Democratic/ Egalitarian/ Freedom Fighters/ Great Fighters of ISIS (NOT) get kicked to the curb? This also informs me, as I'd suspected, there was NO DEAL between SDF/YPG/PKK and Damascus. Which was why Erdogan stated earlier when asked about this alleged deal- “There are many rumours at the moment."
There may be a deal with other non separatist- terror renouncers- non extremistsKurdish parties and persons- but there was and is NO DEAL with SDF
Update 5:45 pm EST: TASS
Earlier today it was reported that the coalition blew up it's base at the Lafarge Plant-
The agreement reached between Turkey and the United States on suspending Turkey’s Peace Spring operation cannot be considered a ceasefire with the Kurdish formations, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told reporters at a press briefing in Ankara.
"We are suspending Operation Peace Spring for 120 hours in order for the Kurdistan Workers' Party and the National Defense Forces (NDF) to withdraw [from the planned security zone]. This is not a ceasefire," Cavusoglu said.
The Turkish top diplomat also said that Ankara and Washington "agreed that the NDF would hand over heavy weaponry and destroy their fortifications." "However, this does not mean that our military will leave the [combat zone]. We will remain there," the minister added.
- Here's why F15 fighter jets blew up a key Special Forces base in Syria
- France Torches Lafarge Cement Plant in Syria
|Pence and Erdogan|
Turkey and the United States have agreed on a 120-hour suspension of Ankara's military offensive in northeast Syria, allowing time for Kurdish forces to withdraw, and in return the United States will remove economic sanctions on Turkey, U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said on Thursday.
“Today the United States and Turkey have agreed to a ceasefire in Syria,” Pence, who led talks with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, told reporters during a press conference in Ankara.This explains all the reports I've noticed today about the Kurds heading for Iraq- To PKK compounds in the mountains, undoubtedly.
The United States has already been in contact with the Kurdish forces and have begun to facilitate their "orderly" withdrawal from the 30-kilometre safe zone south of the Turkish border in Syria, he said.
Joint Turkish-US statement that followed Pence-Erdogan meeting
(Shared by Turkish foreign ministry sources)
1. The US and Turkey reaffirm their relationship as fellow members of NATO. The US understands Turkey's legitimate security concerns on Turkey's southern border.
2. Turkey and the US agree that the conditions on the ground, northeast Syria in particular, necessitate closer coordination on the basis of common interests.
3. Turkey and the US remain committed to protecting NATO territories and NATO populations against all threats with the solid understanding of "one for all and all for one".
4. The two countries reiterate their pledge to uphold human life, human rights, and the protection of religious and ethnic communities.
5. Turkey and the US are committed to D-ISIS/DAESH activities in northeast Syria. This will include coordination on detention facilities and internally displaced persons from formerly ISIS/DAESH-controlled areas, as appropriate.
6. Turkey and the US agree that counter-terrorism operations must target only terrorists and their hideouts, shelters, emplacements, weapons, vehicles and equipment.
7. The Turkish side expressed its commitment to ensure safety and well-being of residents of all population centers in the safe zone controlled by the Turkish Forces (safe zone) and reiterated that maximum care will be exercised in order not to cause harm to civilians and civilian infrastructure.
8. Both countries reiterate their commitment to the political unity and territorial integrity of Syria and UN-led political process, which aims at ending the Syrian conflict in accordance with UNSCR 2254.
9. The two sides agreed on the continued importance and functionality of a safe zone in order to address the national security concerns of Turkey, to include the re-collection of YPG heavy weapons and the disablement of their fortifications and all other fighting positions.
10. The safe zone will be primarily enforced by the Turkish Armed Forces and the two sides will increase their cooperation in all dimensions of its implementation.
11. The Turkish side will pause Operation Peace Spring in order to allow the withdrawal of YPG from the safe zone within 120 hours. Operation Peace Spring will be halted upon completion of this withdrawal.
12. Once Operation Peace Spring is paused, the US agrees not to pursue further imposition of sanctions under the Executive Order of October 14, 2019, Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Syria, and will work and consult with Congress, as appropriate, to underline the progress being undertaken to achieve peace and security in Syria, in accordance with UNSCR 2254. Once Operation Peace Spring is halted as per paragraph 11 the current sanctions under the aforementioned Executive Order shall be lifted.
13. Both parties are committed to work together to implement all the goals outlined in this Statement.Turkey will be watching every move the US makes with their terror proxies. As will Syria, Russia and Iran. - Very good news for the region in general. But, still can't trust the US/Israel/Kurds or France.