Oh, and now it is trial by judge alone, rather then as previously reported, Li had wanted a trial by jury.
Bus beheading case moving to Winnipeg court
I note the crown and the defence both requested this move. ( which was a common theme in Dave McGowan's serial killer book, where the crown and defence , worked in tandem with one another)
At Court of Queen's Bench in Portage on Friday, a motion was put forward by the Crown and defence attorneys to have Li's case moved to Winnipeg court because of security issues.
Justice John Scurfield accepted the Crown and defence's motion.
"Security is an issue," he said during the hearing. "That's a concern from the Crown and the RCMP. There is no security in Portage's court house."He noted the Portage courtroom lacks metal detectors and security at the doors to provide increased safety for those attending.
"We have received some threats," she said. "They are not specific enough in nature that we could lay any type of criminal charge. Also, it's not something that could be completely identified to a particular person.hmm, so move him closer to the people or persons who may possibly be doing the threatening?
The change of venue may also be convenient to the victim's family.
And the other change besides venue? No jury.
The case will proceed with a judge alone trial, without a jury.
"This is going to be a lot of psychiatric evidence as opposed to evidence from witnesses, and a judge may be in a better position to deal with it," said Crown attorney Joyce Dalmyn to reporters after the court hearing.
some additional info:
He added the psychological assessment is still ongoing.
Libman expected the agreed statement of facts to be presented in court likely in late February or early March.
"It would be presented in court," said Libman. "There would be no need to call any civilian witnesses. We anticipate the only witnesses will be forensic psychiatrists."Vince Li's case is next scheduled for Winnipeg court at 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 10, at which time a trial date will be set.