Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Illusory Truth Effect: Repeated Statements Often Judged to Be Truth/Big Lie

Podium Prop
  You can bet your last dime that the workings of illusory truth effect are well known and have been for some time. And by ‘some time’ I mean a very, very, very long time!


 Perhaps this is one answer to my questioning of  'why France get's a free pass' the other day while exchanging comments with Abudllah- Looks like one answer is
.... Illusory Truth Effect

Illusory Truth Effect explains why so many actually believe we’re in a pandemic at the moment. Or why so many believe that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. Illusory truth aided by repetition explains why so many lies are believed by the vast majority of the people

Repetition coupled with the right props (Props= property; clothing and the like used to enhance your belief in the presentation) reinforces the illusory truth effect.

Illusory Truth = Big Lie

I Heard It Before, So It Must Be True

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it,” he asserted, “people will eventually come to believe it.”
This phenomenon, pervasive in contemporary politics, advertising, and (main stream/some) social  media, is known in cognitive psychology as the “illusory truth effect.”

Study Shows Repeated Statements Are Often Judged to Be True- Illusory Truth Effect

When adults hear a statement repeated twice, they are more likely to think it is true than if they've heard it only once. This has been replicated many times in existing research studies and is known as the illusory-truth effect or believing something to be true if it's repeated often enough, even when it is false.

Now, researchers from Vanderbilt Peabody College of education and human development are asking two questions related to the illusory-truth effect: Do adults learn during childhood to associate repetition as a cue for truth, and can their prior knowledge protect them from the effect?

Finding that repetition can affect a person's ability to detect truth has repercussions in society today as misinformation spreads rapidly. (Through the main stream media, by and large)

"When we rely on our initial gut feelings to determine truth, we often use unreliable cues such as repetition. It's important to instead slow down and think about how we know a statement is true or false

Fazio and her team found that the five- and 10-year-old children as well as the adults judged repeated statements as more often true, showing that the illusory-truth effect was similar across all three age groups. They also found that the participants' prior knowledge did not protect them from believing repeated falsehoods.

"Our results suggest that children learn the connection between repetition and truth at a young age," Fazio said. "In general, statements that you hear multiple times are more likely to be true than something you are hearing for the first time. Even by the age of 5, children are using that knowledge to use repetition as a cue when making truth judgments.

"This is useful most of the time, but it can cause problems when the repeated statements are false," she said. 

Be mindful of the information consumed by yourself and your children. 

From earlier today:

Herd Immunity to COVID-19 Possible After 3-10% of Population Get Sick, Russian Scientists Say

 


1 comment:

  1. Nice maneuver!
    The truth requires repeating in order to take root as well.
    One must wonder if Our Betters have Herd Mentality in mind when they say Herd Immunity.
    Consider the Asch Experiments in social conformity reproduced subsequently.
    "The results of this experiments showed that it only takes 5% of confident looking and instructed people to influence the direction of the other 95%".

    When we "achieve" herd immunity/herd mentality, we will be told we have achieved herd immunity/mentality.

    ReplyDelete

TROLLS &SPAM WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT HESITATION
KEEP IT RELEVANT. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS