THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON - Eating a tiny bit of melamine, the chemical responsible for a global food safety scare, is not harmful except when it's in baby formula, U.S. food safety officials said Friday.
While were at it, let's go eat some lead paint , just a little bit of it. Then inhale some asbestos filled air. And for good measure, stand at the tailpipe of the car and breathe deeply.
Just a little ain't gonna hurt you!
What is melamine? Why is this substance dangerous in food?
Melamine is a synthetic chemical (most often combined with formaldehyde YUMMY) used in a variety of industrial applications including the production of resins and foams, cleaning products, fertilizers and pesticides. It is not naturally occurring and is not allowed in food.
Health effects from exposure to melamine vary depending on the amount and duration of exposure. Scientific research indicates that effects to the bladder and kidneys, such as bladder and kidney stones and chronic kidney inflammation, can be seen if exposed to high enough levels of melamine.