Friday, August 27, 2010

Too fat to fight and the legislation to ensure a supply of soldiers

It is follow-up time!
Yesterday, I put a post "to0 fat to fight"

A group of retired admirals and generals released a report in April expressing concern with America's obesity problem

The report, called "Too Fat to Fight," outlines how America's obesity statistics are seen by some as a security threat. The study calls on Congress to pass nutrition legislation to remove junk food from schools and clean up the quality of lunchroom meal.
Some military leaders worry that the shrinking pool of eligible potential service members will cause problems for future generations.


I happened to catch this on the television news last night. I thought to myself- serendipity!
A law passed. An action undertaken to deal with the problem of a future shortage of soldiers

A state law goes into effect next month that regulates food and beverages in schools includes a provision for body mass index (BMI) and weight screening for students in four grade levels. (Look! Exactly what the military group wanted in their report released in April)

The law calls for participating schools to require students in kindergarten, third grade, fifth grade, and ninth grade to undergo screening for BMI and weight status before May 1 of each year.

6 comments:

  1. Well, if they didn't allow all those additives into their food supply in the first place in order to enrich certain corporations they wouldn't have this problem to begin with. It's insanity.

    I guess this is their 'oops' moment. All for fighting folks... ugh.

    I recall, when I lived in Germany decades past, that I ate like a ravenous pig, had kaffee and Kuchen every day and oddly was the skinniest I ever was without having to work out like a maniac. Returning to Kanuckistan, and eating 'out' once more, I found maintaining my wieght to be far more difficult. Now, since I rarely eat at restaurants and make pretty much everything from scratch at home I am back to the skinny me, feeling great and eating whatever I want.

    It's clear to me that it's the crap they allow into the food supply which most often accounts for the supersized people we see all over the place these days (far more than when I was young). It's criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey maggie:

    like I said, not a good idea to be obese, and it is a problem for the kids, but, April a military report comes out and lo and behold laws are enacted to restrict food and weigh kids?

    How about as you said, removing food additives, artificial sweetners, msg, that high fructose crap.

    Then, down with factory farming, if food was more nutritious perhaps the body would recognize correct signals and not urge the brain to continue eating.

    Nah, the government won't do that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penn one of these days when I get back to civilization,(thats a joke btw) but anywhoose when I get back to typing on something bigger than a matchbook I'll send you an email about some of the things that I have done with a number of people concerning their diets. It will astound you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an easy solution: disband the army.

    Then, stop all advertising on tv. In fact, kill all tv's . . . this will a good way to get rid of bullets meant for other people's bodies - lay waste to every television.

    Then, burn all the fast food factories down to the ground.

    Then, after a short period of pain, most people will be able to taste things again once a few months have passed without totally overdosing on salt, sugar and additives and preservatives.

    Simple, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slozo
    Then, burn all the fast food factories down to the ground.

    Then, after a short period of pain, most people will be able to taste things again once a few months have passed without totally overdosing on salt, sugar and additives and preservatives.
    I couldn't agree more.

    Simple, eh? Simple NO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. somewhat off topic, but speaking of salt, hadn't eaten cottage cheese for a while and man either that stuff tastes worse then it used to or my taste buds have changed!

    don't know which, but, it is not as good as I recalled it to be..

    I think if people shut off their tv's the appeal of fast food would be quickly gone, after all if it wasn't advertised to you, would you really it eat?

    ReplyDelete

TROLLS & SPAM WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT HESITATION
KEEP IT RELEVANT. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS